MARKETING MANAGER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Deliberate Detour invites you to grow with us! We’re seeking a talented person who understands the nuances of marketing and sales, but more than that, we’re looking for someone who loves what we do! The most important characteristics in candidates are a passion for and interest in furthering our programs.
Candidates should know that we function as a start-up. We’re scrappy. Our ideas change. A task we spend hours on may be jettisoned. Things don’t always go the way we want. Sometimes we fail. Sometimes our ideas are awful. We continue to learn. We evolve as we learn more about the subset of worldschoolers we serve and what they desire. We’re in it together. Every team member’s voice matters, and all ideas are considered.
Additionally, we plan to grow. This means that a part-time position may evolve into something long term, full-time, and full of responsibility, challenge, excitement, and creativity.
As such, candidates should be
- Comfortable with change
- Able to flesh out parameters of a project with minimal direction
- Excited to offer new ideas
- Ready to brainstorm and problem-solve
- Delighted to work with a team of creative, passionate individuals
- Able to find positivity when we fail
- Committed to sticking with us as we grow
The Marketing Manager is a part-time contractor who maintains and elevates Deliberate Detour’s brand across online platforms. They should be highly skilled in social media and newsletter work, understand affiliate marketing, and have knowledge about pitching to media contacts. The Manager should also have the highest conceivable level of fluency, communicating faultlessly, succinctly, and descriptively in English.
The Marketing Manager should be more than a technician or an executor of specific actions. They need to be highly strategic, making choices based on our audiences’ needs and wishes, considering how their action fits into a larger tableau of goals and desired outcomes. They should be able to keep in mind the granular and the lofty all at once, executing their work on both levels.
The Marketing Manager should have a sense of why people purchase opportunities like this. Meaning, they should not only know how to communicate but should anticipate the outcome of their choices, understanding what spurs sales.
The Manager will use Canva, Constant Contact, and Meta for Business as their primary tools but may suggest and employ other tools, apps, and software as desired.
Results Statement: The Marketing Manager works in three distinct areas: 1) social media and newsletter communication, 2) media and press relations, and 3) affiliate marketing, working to fill all worldschooling hubs. With the support of the Founder, the Manager sets and achieves engagement goals in each of those areas mapped to enrollment goals, Above all, the Manager mirrors Deliberate Detour’s brand and tone guidelines, executing their strategic tasks with few to no written errors and with descriptive, compelling language.
Description of Services
- Plan all external communications based on thoughtful strategy, demonstrating an understanding of the needs and desires of our audience.
- Evolve our messaging choices with greater use of video, Stories, and other means to increase engagement.
- Draft social media posts and newsletters to near completion using Meta Business and Constant Contact.
- Join, follow, and monitor, and engage with more than a dozen Facebook groups and Instagram accounts, learning about our audience and contributing to conversations.
- Research and suggest other ways to find and engage with our audiences.
- Refine our understanding of our customer profile to improve programming and marketing choices.
- Manage our affiliate (Referral) program by gaining new commitments from content creators and hub participants, regularly communicating with them to provide support, and tracking their progress.
- Research, consider, present, and possibly create a Loyalty Program.
Media Relations (10%)
- Research, develop, and maintain relationships with relevant media outlets and journalists.
- Pitch stories, press releases, and article ideas to secure positive coverage in targeted media channels.
- Discover opportunities for Deliberate Detour Founder interviews, podcasts, media appearances, and/or conferences to elevate our profile.
Extensive experience with a combination of more than one of the following: off-the-beaten-track travel, cross-cultural immersion, parenting, homeschooling, worldschooling, and/or digital nomadism.
- At least 18 months of full-time experience in public relations, communications, sales, and/or marketing. A degree is not necessary but should be mentioned in application materials if it exists.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to craft compelling and concise messages.
- Ability to furnish relevant, newer, longer written samples and social media posts.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
Work Requirements + Pay
The Marketing Manager is a part-time contractor who will begin with a six-month contract beginning in January 2024 with the possibility of extension. While the Manager creates their schedule, work hours, and work environment, Deliberate Detour anticipates the assigned work will take about 10 hours per week.
Work will be compensated with a monthly contract rate for a manager-level job commensurate with cost of living in the country in which our Manager lives. The Manager is guaranteed one free spot annually in a Deliberate Detour Worldschooling hub for their eligible child or two spots at a 50% discount each, if two spots exist.
What We Offer
Email a CV or resume to Deliberate Detour Founder, Stephanie Tolk, at email@example.com by January 15, 2024 to be considered. Please include a cover letter in the body of your email or as an attachment addressing the characteristics and skills we seek, and use the subject line “Marketing Manager.” Please let us know where you live and your nationality.